maandag 11 augustus 2014

More Ebola

These pictures have been released to inform countries about the do's and dont's concerning Ebola. Take a look:






These first 3 posters look quite okay to me. They do look a little childish, and I'm wondering how effective they will really be if used in Africa, considered they are all in English. Maybe translated posters are provided for people who don't speak English, I don't know that.Over all, these 3 give clear information and isn't that what an information campaign is supposed to do?




I do want to make some remarks about these last two posters.
In an older post (http://pissedofpenguin.blogspot.be/2014/08/ebola-this-article-says-it-all.html) I informed you guys that there is a possibility that the Ebola virus could spread through the air, under the form of aerosols. I was referring to an 2012 study in which was shown the virus can spread without direct contact. Since the experiment was performed with pigs, there is always the risk that it does not go for humans. Am I telling you that it does spread through the air? No. I am not a doctor nor a scientist, and after I did some research, I found out the theory is not supported by science. If this is true, and I really hope it is, the risks of catching the disease are seriously lowered. I'm not in favour of spreading rumours and I don't feel like walking around with a mask to cover my mouth and nose. I'll leave this subject for now, I'm obviously defeated by science. I admit my mistake (for now), but I'll be following the developments with a keen eye.

Secondly, I found a contradiction in those last two posters. Poster one states 'you can't get Ebola through food.' The last one says 'Do not eat bush meat' and 'Do not eat plums eaten by bats'. So bush meat and plums aren't food? Don't make a poster misinforming people while you contradict your own findings in another one. Why not make a sign that says 'You can't get Ebola through food, except for bush meat and plums eaten by bats'? Am I being a b* right now? Yes, but I do think I have some solid ground to stand on. Inform those people in a good way, please.

Overal, these posters will probably be used to calm Americans and Europeans down, I really don't believe them to have a mayor impact on the African people. It's a good effort, but it would be nice to see a set of pictures not contradicting themselves. But then again, what's the change of American or European citizens eating bush meat? If used in those countries, the mistake about the food is forgivable. If used in countries where people eat bush meat, it's misinformation. Sadly enough, those people should be thoroughly informed, without any contradictions.


Mary Jane
pissedofpenguin@gmail.com

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten