dinsdag 9 september 2014

Fifty shades is fishy

I have to admit, I own all three of the 'fifty shades' books. Why? Because they were second hand, cheap, and I was curious. I bought them in English and started reading the first novel, but I quit around page 100. It was really bad, I've never been so angry with myself for buying a book. I really don't get why such a greasy novel collection makes so many women horny. I found it garbage.
Anyway, after finding this link, I'm planning on skimming through the first book again, because I really had no idea this trilogy could influence girls and women this much. The article states that, compaired to people who didn't read the book, readers have higher rates of dangerous behaviour. Included is binge drinking, having more sexual partners, and eating disorders. Also, readers are more likely to be in an abusive relationship.

I wonder if a trashy book can change it's readers so much. But given the enormous popularity of the books and the status it's been given, something could be up. I've read stuff which changed the way I see things, so why would this one be any different? Too bad we don't question what we read anymore, and I can imagine a lot of women adapting unhealthy behaviour because of mr. Grey.

A lot of girls I know who aren't regular readers, all claim to have read at least the first book in the trilogy. Given the fact they aren't used to read novels, I guess it's a bit easier to forget it's a work of fiction. Sadly enough, we can't really include a reading guide in each book. What we could do, is teaching children to question what they read and hear. Learning to read only focusses on the skill, not on what you should do with it. If you never read a book, and suddenly you manage to read a trashy sex trilogy, it will have a much bigger impact on your life. You will remember it better, because no other books interfere with it.
I'm not saying that all people who read like trains are immune to this crap, but I do think the risk for unhealthy behaviour goes down a bit. Not to forget that the 'fifty shades' idea started out on a Twilight fanfiction site. Need I say more?

I wonder how the movie adaptation is going to be received and viewed. A movie is so much more visible than a book, although the fantasy element we all experience when reading should not be downrated. This movie will also reach a public that hasn't read the books, I wonder if the movie will have the same effects. I don't really think the movie will influence people more, since you invest much more time in reading a trilogy instead of watching one. Then again, more young people and children will get affected by it, since watching a movie is much more accessible.

Of course, we can't know in which way this reaction goes. Did the books mold the behaviour, or did the behaviour make those women choose those books to read? A study should be conducted before people read the books also, to have more refined data. I do think a book has the power to change you, so I would go with option A. But, a smaller portion of readers will chose the books because of their interests and behaviour, which are the same as the main character's motives. Reading about it could reinforce those women to keep on doing it, maybe even to the point where it escalates.

I like how the professor doesn't want the books to be banned. I admit, they are crap, but I'm not a fan of banning any book at all. Again, there is nothing wrong with reading this book, as long as you are smart enough to understand the things described are not real. They are in fact a woman's sexual fantasy, and there's nothing wrong with having fantasies like that. It is, however, dangerous to read those without realizing it's just someone's fantasy, and not the key to a good relationship.
Read all you want, but don't let a book distort your idea of what love and life should be like. If you can't make the distinction between the book and the real world, don't read it at all.


Sabetha
pissedofpenguin@gmail.com

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten