dinsdag 26 mei 2015

Game of Thrones and why Big Media will not allow me to love the Boltons anymore

                                   WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD
(show and book spoilers. I haven't seen the latest season since I honestly don't care anymore.) 




I started reading the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series (asoiaf) about two years back. Since I always try to read the book before seeing the movie or series, I know what I am talking about. Also, I want to make clear that I see the book series and the HBO adaptation as two completely different stories.

In the books, some of my favourite characters are Roose and Ramsay Bolton. Ramsay because he is one of the most convincing villians I ever met in a book. Not only does he enjoy to inflict immense pain on people, he is also smart and calculated. Roose on the other hand is in my opinion, one of the smartest men in Westeros. He saw the downfall of Robb Stark when every one else was still in a daze. In the books, the Boltons aren't just crazy flayers, and I believe Roose Bolton is pretty fit to be the warden of the North.

Also, I hate Little Finger and I hate how HBO keeps on using this secondary character as one of the main forces in the war. The only thing he ever did worth mentioning is pushing that bitch Lysa through the Moon Door. Since I haven't seen the latest season, I was really shocked by the events that took place during the episode 'Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken'. I wasn't shocked about the rape tho, kinda saw that one coming. I'll get back to that later. I was, however, shocked by the fact that they made Littlefinger rush to Cersei Lannister to betray Sansa. This, truly, makes no fucking sense. If there is ONE thing you should know about Petyr Baelish, it would be his lifelong obsession with Catelyn Stark. How ambitious he may be, the book-Petyr would never, NEVER betray Catelyns daughter. Never.

(In the books, Petyr tries to fix a marriage between Sansa and Lysa's stupid son, in order to give her a change to reclaim Winterfell. But, she is still save in the Eyrie, and back in Winterfell, Ramsay is getting married to fake Arya. Who did get raped on her wedding night. But well, as I said before, kinda saw that one coming.)

Okay, so why is the world suddenly so shocked about the rape of Sansa Stark? I mean, I stopped watching long before this episode, because well, their was too much sexual violence for my appetite. I'm not even referring to the infamous 'Jaime-raping-Cersei-next-too-Joffreys-corpse', no, one of the scenes which literally shocked me was in season 4, episode 4, 'Oathkeeper'. Jon Snow and his fellow crows head for Craster's Keep. The deserted crows over there captured the women, and I can remember one of them saying 'fuck them till they're dead'. Why? This sentence wasn't in the books. I'm not saying asoiaf isn't violent. It is. There is rape, but GRRM is decent enough to keep the descriptions about this horrible act to a minimum. I don't feel like seeing about ten women get raped simultaneously.

So, I really don't get why the world suddenly is so shocked. Rape was always a part of this show.

On the other hand, the marriage and rape of Sansa Stark by Ramsay Bolton is the first (and not last) serious change that was made to the script. Sansa has been through horrible things the last seasons. The makers of GOT could have chosen a different road. But sadly enough, those little men believe rape is actually some kind of character-building thingy. All the strenght she had built up is now vanished.

It is extremely important to see that this rape was orchestrated by the men behind the series. WHY did they do it? Simple. Since the world is watching GOT, everything which happens on the show is seen by millions of watchers. I honestly believe the media are trying to deform our ideas and thoughts about the world. By having Sansa raped, not only did they cause an almost global fuss, by having us watch rape and violence over and over again, they glorify it. They are trying to make it look as something normal. Already I heard men and women argue that this was not rape, since it happened inside of the bridal bed. Legally speaking, Ramsay and Sansa of course are married, but if I ever hear a married man say how this is not rape, I'll just advise his wife to tie the bastard to the bed and fuck him in the ass with a broomstick. Because when it happens inside a marriage it's not rape? See how easy they slip these ideas in. You don't have to agree with them at first (I really hope no one does that), but by gradually dosing up the violence, we get used to it. And when you get used to something, you'll stop questioning it. And that, my dear friends, is the only reason why Sansa got raped.

I also feel disgusted by the reactions the actors gave after the episode aired. Check it out: Iwan Rheons reaction. What startles me the most is how they keep on talking about aaaallll of the other stuff, and not the rape. Even more disturbing is this one. So not only was Sansa's virginity taken away from her in the most brutal way possible, she also has to please him now?

I'm really just trying to see the books apart from the show right now, but I feel like something I really loved has been taken away from me again. Again, Big Media took a great story to deform it into something that makes us want to think violence and rape are okay. I already was feeling down, thanks, for making my day HB-whore. Well at least I don't have to waste my time watching series anymore. (with exceptions, maybe)

Just keep in mind that in the media, everything happens for a reason. Every symbol, every suggestion, and yes, every rape, is orchestrated and means something. Don't let it fool you.

Sabetha
pissedofpenguin@gmail.com

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten