dinsdag 3 maart 2015

MyReads: February

Suzanne Collins - 'Mockingjay'

I have to admit it, I love the Hunger games trilogy. I know Hollywood is raping the script and turning it into some scary MK ULTRA, predictive programming thing, but still these books are the best young adult fiction I've read in years. (I don't really have anything to compare except Twilight, which sucked donkey balls. note to self: read more young adult fiction) I won't spoil anything for anyone, just read the damn trilogy.


my score: 7/10


Andrew Pyper -  'The trade mission' (read in Dutch; title: 'Handelsmissie')

I was really scared of this book when I started it. Set in the jungle of Brazil, 2 young entrepreneurs, one helper and a tolk go on a boat trip. They get captured and tortured by locals. I picked up this book because the description said it was like a modern 'Deliverance', and I love that novel. My fears were uncalled for, the torture practices aren't described in much detail and the book, in general, wasn't that scary. It did make me think of human nature and made me wonder what I would have done while in the same situation. Which is hard, since I never lived traumas that severe. Was it as good as 'Deliverance'? Hell naw. But I can see why thy made the comparison. It took me 2 weeks to finish, I started and finished other books before I finished this one. After the last chapter, I must admit I think it was a little waste of time. I might read some of his other books tho.

My score: 6/10

Donald Thomas - 'The Marquis the Sade, a new biography' (read in Dutch; title: 'Markies de Sade, de definitieve biografie')

A friend who used to be obsessed with de Sade lended this one to me. It was much more interesting than I thought it would be. I never was fond of biographies, but this one points out how de Sade was not just a pervert, but a product of his age. If you're interested in history in general and de Sade in particular, I highly recommend it. It was well written, clear and gave me a different view on his literature. I'm still not sure if I will read one of the Sade's books, probably not. But I did learn a lot from it and I might start reading more biographies.

my score: 7/10

Michael Robotham - 'The night Ferry' (read in Dutch; title: 'Nachtboot')

An okay thriller, the third book I've read from his hand. While you can read all his books apart, I recommend you start with his first one ('the suspect'), since a lot of characters introduced here keep on coming back. I still wonder why I keep reading his books, they aren't badly written or boring. But I always feel something is missing, I can't put a finger on what it is. Still, it was a good story. It's about illegal child trafficking and surrogate mothers.

my score: 6/10

Chuck Palahniuk - 'Fight Club' 

This classic needs no further introduction. I saw the movie about 5 years ago and I didn't get the ending at all, so reading the book made a lot of things more clear. I must say the book is adapted into a movie in a brilliant way, I recognised several quotes. The book in itself is written brilliantly and reads really fast. I found my copy at one of my favourite second-hand books stores. Too bad they had like 1684 copies staring at me, I was looking for this book for ages so I was pretty shocked to finally see it in so many copies. Luckily this has nothing to do with the quality of the book. Written in a brilliant, fast style, I finally understand what all the fuss was about.

My score: 8.5/10



Kathryn Stockett - 'The help' (read in Dutch; title: 'Een keukenmeidenroman') (probably one of the worst title-translations ever. 'De hulp' would've worked just fine.)

Can't say I liked the ending, and some of the characters were really black and white, but besides those two remarks, I enjoyed this book. Set in Mississippi during the sixties, we follow some white women and their black helps. The book made me angry at times, but it did shine light at how hard it was, even for white people, to try and change things.Good reading, not so high in literature and some characters are a bit dull, but the book had a great spirit and I enjoyed the journey.

My score: 6/10


Haruki Murakami - '1q84, part one' (read in Dutch, same title)

Wow, just wow. Before I started reading this, I read 4 other Murakami novels. 'After dark', which was okay, 'Norwegian wood' and 'South of the border, West of the sun', which I both loved, and 'A wild sheep chase', which I hated with a passion and never finished.
But this... We follow Tengo, a math teacher and ghostwriter of a best-seller, and Aomame, who works at a gym, but secretly kills men. As the story continues, more and more facts make clear that Aomame and Tengo must've met much earlier. Strange concepts and people are introduced, and way too soon the book is over. I just had to start reading the second one right away.
I don't know why I love certain Murakami books and loathe others. I do know I love this one, although I would like to see a little less descriptions about sex, but that's a personal preference I guess. All I know is this, I can't wait to know how it ends.

my score: 9/10


Books that match my 2015 reading challenge
  • A book a friend recommended: The marquis the Sade
  •  A book by an author you've never read before: The trade mission
  • A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit: The help

Sabetha
pissedofpenguin@gmail.com

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten